Audacity

Hi everyone, I’ve just tried out audacity and embedded it as an mp3 clip in the link below. Hopefully it works!

Testing out audacity

I must say that it was very easy to do and the instructional video was extremely helpful. My clip is only about a minute long during which I mention one or two activities we could do with it- mainly related to pretending to be radio hosts!

Do let me know if you guys have any comments (please excuse the mistakes and the nervousness) and ideas that we could use audacity for in the classroom.

Published by

kristytan

A secondary school teacher in the making, I am passionate about young people and education and hope to make a difference through authentic and engaging learning.

9 thoughts on “Audacity”

1. kristy this is great! i love these ideas and i am SO using them in the classroom.

being a radio host is such a good idea and i cant wait to try it out.

I also read in another blog and I thought this could also be a good idea – when a student has an oral presentation they could do it as an audio recording because you may not have time in class to do it. Even if they do have to do it in class, it could also be a good tool for the nervous students, as they might do a better job in the privacy of their homes and then even if they don’t speak too well in class, after submitting the audio to the teacher, the teacher can then hear the presentation for what it should be!

2. Hi kelly! What a fantastic idea- to use it for oral presentation practice! Will definitely use this one too. Especially because it will be so helpful for students who struggle with this kind of task. I know I would have benefited from such a tool back in school. 🙂

3. Great idea about the radio show. I agree, I think a lot of students would get a kick out of it! I love audacity, it can be used for so many things, and I like that you don’t have to use all of the fancy features to enjoy using it!

4. Lol – You sound SOOO different in the recording than you do in real life. You have spoken really well in this recording though, very nicely paced and good enunciation.

I love your idea about creating a radio show (probably not so useful in the maths classroom…). But it’s a great idea as kids will have to think about how to get their information across without having visual aides.

Do you think it would be better to have students make a video or audio regarding a topic? I initially thought video is better as students can see and hear and therefore process more and hopefully retain more. However, after your idea of a radio recording I might be a bit more swayed, or at least, see there is benefit in both.

5. I like the idea of the breakfast radio show. Think I might use that with my LOTE classes. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing Kristy!

6. I know, Maddy! I was so embarrassed to put it up but I thought, oh well, why not. But thank you for your feedback, I definitely put effort into enunciating my words. Haha. 🙂

I thought of that too!- If we should just make a video instead of a recording but then I thought of the radio idea and realized that this might be a bit more of a challenge having to explain yourself without visuals. And like you, I guess i was able to see the pros and cons to both.

7. Hey Hannah! Ooh, yeah that sounds like fun. I like what you did with your song on audacity too. Let me know if you try it out and how it goes! 🙂

8. Hey Kristi 🙂 Your sound clip is great! I’m glad you said you were a tad embarrassed to publish it because I am yet to publish a sound clip and feel a bit the same! The radio host idea is fantastic. It really makes the whole use of audacity more entertaining and engaging for the children, rather than an activity that just requires recording themselves reading an individual piece of work. Your idea of radio show hosting also led me to think maybe children could use audacity to work on and develop their debating skills. Especially for those who are in debating competitions it would be a terrific way of practicing their skills and on the spot rebutle, then reflecting on how to improve!

9. Hi Kristy. I like your idea of using audacity for a radio show. Audacity could even be used for a theatrical performances where students could upload and edit sound effects for the appropriate scene or event within the performance. The radio show would be fantastic for a debating unit. The students could even create a mini historical document with voice over. There are plenty of ideas we could implement within our classrooms using Audacity. I will be buying a microphone for my computer to post my audio recording shortly, hopefully it works!